One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The branch of medicine concerned with the study and treatment of disorders and diseases of the eye.
- ‘When he first went to Hull in 1936, he did general surgery in all the specialties except ophthalmology.’
- ‘Magic dominated Morris Young's life from childhood, even influencing his choice of ophthalmology as a medical specialty.’
- ‘Carmeda is conducting research in key sectors such as ophthalmology, orthopedics, and neurology.’
- ‘He entered St Mary's Hospital Medical School in 1933 and while there won prize exams in surgery, ophthalmology, and obstetrics and gynaecology.’
- ‘Bristol Eye Hospital has consistently been at the forefront of innovation in ophthalmology and cataract surgery in particular.’
- ‘After training in neurology and ophthalmology he settled on a career in neurophysiology.’
- ‘The policy aims to use overseas doctors to tackle long waiting times, focusing particularly on ophthalmology and orthopaedics.’
- ‘The trust is also touting for more business in areas such as orthopaedics and ophthalmology.’
- ‘As a trainee general practitioner in ophthalmology, I spent every Monday morning in the diabetes clinic.’
- ‘He received many awards and prizes and was president of five medical societies of pathology and ophthalmology.’
- ‘Having qualified with a postgraduate degree in ophthalmology and after a spell as senior registrar in northern India, I moved back home to Bangalore in southern India.’
- ‘Most of the work will be in orthopaedics and ophthalmology - specialties with the longest waiting lists.’
- ‘He received his medical degree from the University of Miami School of Medicine and completed a residency in ophthalmology at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.’
- ‘Between 1960 and 1966, he was first an instructor, then assistant professor of ophthalmology at Harvard Medical School.’
- ‘He is one of 10 in the world with a dual expertise in ophthalmology and paediatrics.’
- ‘After school at Westminster and medical training at Guy's Hospital, Peter specialised in ophthalmology, proceeding to an MD in London with research into myopia in 1960.’
- ‘Thyroid eye disease should be managed under the supervision of a specialist with particular expertise and experience of thyroid eye disease, preferably in a combined clinic for thyroidology and ophthalmology.’
- ‘I regularly hold joint clinics with colleagues from overlapping specialties, such as genetics, neurology, ophthalmology, etc.’
- ‘So he started over, this time studying ophthalmology.’
- ‘After further study, he also took a clinical assistant post in ophthalmology at the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.