One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Relating to the eye and its diseases.
- ‘We looked at the healthcare industry and the ophthalmic spectrum as areas of very favorable market potential.’
- ‘In the present study, we detail the range of ophthalmic findings encountered at autopsy and address their clinical relevance.’
- ‘This text will be of interest primarily to veterinary ophthalmologists, ophthalmic pathologists, and ocular oncologists.’
- ‘For 50 years Dr Magauran worked as an ophthalmic medical practitioner for a firm of opticians in Sutton and Epsom and also saw private patients in her home.’
- ‘Now, there are only 5,000 optometrists, 15,000 ophthalmic surgeons and 25,000 opticians.’
Early 17th century: via Latin from Greek ophthalmikos, from ophthalmos ‘eye’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.