Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An echinoderm of the class "Ophiuroidea", which comprises the brittlestars.
- ‘Furthermore, physical damage was not an important cause of arm injury when the ophiuroids and crinoids were alive in the late Eocene.’
- ‘Hans perhaps is best known for his work on crinoids and ophiuroids, but he has many titles on asteroids, echinoids, and holothurians as well.’
- ‘Unlike the situation with gastropods, sublethal damage is relatively easy to interpret in ophiuroids and crinoids.’
- ‘Some, like many starfish, are predators; holothurians, sand dollars, and ophiuroids often feed on detritus; crinoids are filter-feeders; sea urchins scrape algae from rocks.’
- ‘Clearly, the late Eocene ophiuroids and crinoids experienced little physical damage and limited predation pressure.’
Relating to or denoting ophiuroids.
- ‘However, the placement of the ophiuroid branch with respect to the other echinoderms is still unresolved.’
- ‘A few ophiuroid species can even tolerate brackish water, an ability otherwise almost unknown among echinoderms.’
- ‘Alternative phylogenetic trees were compared excluding the ophiuroid data set.’
- ‘Regardless of the distribution of rock outcrops, however, all stalked crinoids and most dense ophiuroid populations now live only in deep, offshore habitats.’
- ‘The restriction of dense ophiuroid populations in coastal waters during the Mesozoic is an aspect of the onshore-offshore trend.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.