One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An igneous rock consisting largely of serpentine, believed to have been formed from the submarine eruption of oceanic crustal and upper mantle material.
- ‘If this model does survive those tests, it has important implications for the tectonic environment in which the Troodos ophiolite formed.’
- ‘These felsic rocks are contemporaneous with or only slightly younger than rocks from the Guevgueli ophiolite.’
- ‘The differences between the ophiolite and Cretaceous arcrelated rocks are shown in Figure 4.’
- ‘The Indus Suture Zone, also locally called the Sumdo Formation, contains the well-preserved Nidar ophiolite and the Zildat Ophiolitic Melange.’
- ‘The Northland ophiolite crops out at headlands to the east and west of Cooper's Beach on the eastern Northland Peninsula.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek ophis ‘snake’ + -lite.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.