Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A unit made up of linked genes that is thought to regulate other genes responsible for protein synthesis.
- ‘Horizontal transfer of whole genes and operons between divergent species is a frequent event.’
- ‘Jacob and Monod called these regulated stretches of DNA operons.’
- ‘Despite the absence of operons, eukaryotes are still capable of a very fine level of control over gene transcription.’
- ‘It has been noted that coexpressed genes are frequently situated as contiguous clusters within an operon.’
- ‘In bacteria, these genes are clustered in operons, while in eukaryotes, they are widely dispersed throughout the genome.’
1960s: from French opérer to effect, work + -on.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.