One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of positivism which defines scientific concepts in terms of the operations used to determine or prove them.
- ‘According to operationalism, STR changes the meanings of the concepts of space and time from the classical conception.’
- ‘Notions like falsification, verification, and operationalism seem like gloves that ill-fit the hand of Nature, however fashionable they may appear on the hands of idealized scientists.’
- ‘A large number of people said that the real was the measurable, which could be a sign of realism, operationalism, or hermeneutical realism.’
- ‘Milne's metaphysical views were based in positivism, most especially in operationalism: only those objects whose properties could be directly revealed by some observational procedure, or operation, were to be counted among the real.’
- ‘Third, Carnap realizes that the principle of operationalism is too restrictive.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.