One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The software that supports a computer's basic functions, such as scheduling tasks, executing applications, and controlling peripherals.
- ‘It is primarily used by developers to test software on different operating systems.’
- ‘PCs with their disk drives and autonomous operating systems are a ridiculous headache.’
- ‘In fact, Linux is nowhere near the mainstream of computer desktop operating systems.’
- ‘The survey covered major software market segments including operating systems and consumer software.’
- ‘Behind me is my rack of computer discs, operating systems, applications, games.’
- ‘At the time, different kinds of computer hardware ran different operating systems.’
- ‘In addition, that OS will have support for Linux guest operating systems.’
- ‘In other words, this book is all about computers and the operating systems that run them.’
- ‘The other factor that will be important in achieving a broader market for smartphones will be the operating system.’
- ‘Application software and operating systems continue to demand greater memory.’
- ‘Like many businesses, my office runs a variety of operating systems on its computers.’
- ‘And mobile operating systems are giving up control of look and feel to the carriers too.’
- ‘New software and new operating systems use more memory than old ones.’
- ‘These lapses have nothing to do with the operating system or software being used.’
- ‘This software will then be restored along with the operating system and hardware configuration.’
- ‘It will also be the most powerful computer in the world using the Linux operating system.’
- ‘The kernel is the central part of the operating system dealing with basic core functions.’
- ‘Most of the world's digital data is generated by the four computer operating systems.’
- ‘There is quite a mix of operating systems and databases used to achieve these marks.’
- ‘There are also a variety of software operating systems available for smart phones and other mobile devices.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.