One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A theater designed for the performance of opera.
- ‘So many collaborators had emptied their diaries to be at the opera house for the rehearsal period.’
- ‘My dad owned the local opera house and was a playwright, my mother, an actress.’
- ‘The Gehry opera house is not Frank's most dangerous design.’
- ‘The opera house last year planned to recruit 20 new actors but only found 13.’
- ‘But peasants had made it to centre stage even in the opera house, and operatic verismo would become an established form.’
- ‘Every city and small town in Germany has an opera house and several other performance venues besides.’
- ‘Sydney has a great reputation for performing arts, not least because the opera house attracts the best of international acts.’
- ‘On the evening news from France 2 the other day, I saw a little piece on the new opera house in Beijing.’
- ‘We also had civic buildings, including a courthouse, and as our town was to be a cultural centre there was an opera house and a theatre.’
- ‘One such marvellous site already exists and as yet nobody has looked at it as a possibility as either a new theatre or even an opera house.’
- ‘It is a fantastic opera house, with challenging productions.’
- ‘The Beijing opera house's pictures and stories will also be part of the Salon of Arts, which will last until June 30.’
- ‘A landmark cultural building, either a theatre or an opera house, according to Coyne, will act as a focal point for the area.’
- ‘Greg has had little sympathy for those who go to the opera house or the concert hall for the purposes of spiritual uplift or communion with ossified High Culture.’
- ‘It was a European-style city with grand boulevards, classical buildings, a great cathedral and an opera house as well as a theatre.’
- ‘Just as the rain began to fall in buckets, we reached the opera house.’
- ‘If nothing else, the performance reinforced the fact that Dublin needs an opera house.’
- ‘Played multiple times, each player will spend a lot of time standing alone outside the opera house or a movie theater.’
- ‘But until this month, they have given only a single performance together in an opera house.’
- ‘This opera house has a great tradition and these colourful touring productions have been lavishly praised.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.