One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An opera on a lighthearted theme, typically in French and with spoken dialogue.
- ‘His Prague repertory was almost devoid of Italian opera, but it did include many of the French opéras comiques which he felt set the most fruitful example for German composers.’
- ‘Berlioz's only Shakespearian opera as such is Béatrice et Bénédict, a two-act opéra comique based on Much Ado About Nothing, written for the Stadttheater in Baden-Baden.’
- 1.1 Opéra comique as a genre.
- ‘During most of the 1800s, though, the work was performed throughout Europe, a delicious example of French opéra comique at its high noon.’
- ‘It immediately caused controversy, its subject being considered too risqué for such a venue, and the tragic implications of Carmen's death on stage being unusually realistic for the lighter genre of opéra comique.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.