One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An opera on a lighthearted theme, typically in French and with spoken dialogue.
- ‘Berlioz's only Shakespearian opera as such is Béatrice et Bénédict, a two-act opéra comique based on Much Ado About Nothing, written for the Stadttheater in Baden-Baden.’
- ‘His Prague repertory was almost devoid of Italian opera, but it did include many of the French opéras comiques which he felt set the most fruitful example for German composers.’
- 1.1 Opéra comique as a genre.
- ‘It immediately caused controversy, its subject being considered too risqué for such a venue, and the tragic implications of Carmen's death on stage being unusually realistic for the lighter genre of opéra comique.’
- ‘During most of the 1800s, though, the work was performed throughout Europe, a delicious example of French opéra comique at its high noon.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.