One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A primary election in which voters are not required to declare party affiliation.
- ‘They then scuttled an attempt at a true open primary where voters could cross party lines to vote for the best person, and not the best party person.’
- ‘Others are the so-called primaries: closed primaries, open primaries and blanket primaries.’
- ‘Now, the California ballot is interesting because there's also an open primary in California, where anyone can vote for anybody.’
- ‘What's more, I have mixed feelings about open primaries anyway.’
- ‘But there is virtue in the long run of party and open primaries before the presidential candidates are chosen.’
- ‘My next quest when I have some more time on the Internet is to try to find out which states have open primaries that let Independents vote and/or members of the opposing party vote.’
- ‘Rodriguez stoked Republican strategists' hopes with his performance in the March 7 open primary.’
- ‘There are no open primaries for New York Supreme Court judgeships.’
- ‘Wisconsin is an open primary, Independents and even Republicans, if they choose, can participate.’
- ‘The thing that worries me about what's happened in Michigan just recently with some of these open primaries is that at least half of the voters were either Democrats or independent.’
- ‘The book could also benefit from a broader investigation of additional primary states considering the movement toward more regional primaries and the increasing significance of open primaries in 2000.’
- ‘California may have 135 candidates, but Louisiana's got 18, none of them a clear frontrunner, and they're campaigning in a unique format - the open primary.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the influence of the Right may work to discourage mainstream Republicans from trying to reverse the tendency toward open primaries.’
- ‘Thanks to California's open primary, everyone gets to vote in one party's primary if they want to, even non-affiliated voters like me.’
- ‘He'd win the open primaries in New Hampshire and South Carolina a week later and, with the new cluster of front-loaded primaries, face a quick succession of open-primary states: Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona.’
- ‘And it depends on whether it's an open primary or a closed primary.’
open primary/ˈōpən ˈprīˌmerē/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.