One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
often as modifier A session in a club during which anyone is welcome to sing or perform stand-up comedy.
- ‘Next door is a coffee shop that had an open mike night.’
- ‘Vicki will perform poetry from her book on the night and there will also be an open mike spot and music.’
- ‘Go during open mike night; the admission is cheaper, and the ‘unintentional comedy’ factor is high.’
- ‘Hoffman jams at Weaver's Arms open mike night every Wednesday.’
- ‘He is living in a scruffy apartment, hosting an open mike comedy show in an obscure hole-in-the-wall venue, and is completely depressed that he's going nowhere.’
- ‘On Wednesday night a trad session will take place with lots of song, dance, comedy, open mike and dancing.’
- ‘If this was an open mike session she would be booed off stage.’
- ‘My husband used to do open mike night a lot - those guys would sit around and drink their beers and cheer each other up.’
- ‘They're having open mike tonight with a surprise performer.’
- ‘Any performers are welcome to share their skills at the open mike session - musicians, dancers, poets, puppeteers, raconteurs and actors.’
- ‘What we got was open mike night at the TSN Comedy Club.’
- ‘Later in the evening, an open mike session was planned for the young people to showcase their talents on stage.’
- ‘It was open mike night when he gave the interview.’
- ‘A one-man polemic on small-town violence, this play comes through the frame of an open mike night in a local bar.’
- ‘But he eventually decided to focus on his own songwriting, headed east, and by 1996 was flexing his talent at open mike nights in New York.’
- ‘The march rallied again in front of the federal building, where an open mike session was held.’
- ‘It's hard to believe the comedy circuit could be so open, but friends tell me it is, with open mike sessions giving plenty of opportunity to be seen.’
- ‘Performers have a maximum of eight minutes to perform as many pieces as they wish, plus there'll be open mike sessions and music for the punters.’
- ‘A few years back, Dave started an open mike poetry night at the pub.’
- ‘The event will also include an open mike session and any Aboriginal performers are welcome to turn up and share their talents.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.