One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A single piece of bread with a savory topping.‘make open-face sandwiches on thick slices of grainy bread, topped with sliced Havarti cheese’‘an open-faced sandwich of turkey and bacon’
- ‘There are several open-face sandwiches and salads to choose from.’
- ‘A typical breakfast would consist of a Scandinavian-style open-faced sandwich and a cup of rich, good coffee.’
- ‘The baby open-faced sandwiches of slick, whisper-cut ham posed on a dab of garlicky tomato vinaigrette are great stuff.’
- ‘My choice came as a large, 8-ounce open-face sandwich with the same accompaniments as the burger.’
- ‘The offerings include open-faced sandwiches, along with assorted pastries and Swedish coffee.’
- ‘As a pleasant surprise to go with a cup of tea, lay the leaves on open-faced sandwiches of thin white bread spread with cream cheese.’
- ‘Rather than making a sandwich with two pieces of white bread, use one slice of whole wheat to make an open-face sandwich or an extra-thick half sandwich.’
- ‘A lighter meal is eaten at dinnertime, often consisting of an open-faced sandwich made with various kinds of meat and cheese.’
- ‘My younger self nibbled sticky open-faced sandwiches with the crusts cut off.’
- ‘Lunch often includes open-faced sandwiches.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.