One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large deep-bodied fish with a deep blue back, silvery belly, and crimson fins, living in deep oceanic waters.
Lampris guttatus, family LampridaeAlso called moonfish
- ‘Recipes call for fish that run from commonplace to exotic (when was the last time your grocery store carried opah?).’
- ‘Menu concoctions include opah (moon fish) caught along the Kohala Coast, salmon, and seaweed grown at the Big Island's Natural Energy Lab.’
- ‘High on my personal list is opah, or moon-fish, which I have eaten in Hawaii on several occasions.’
- ‘One fish I wish I could see with my own eyes is the brilliant opah, or moonfish.’
- ‘The opah, despite being toothless, and of majestic build, pursues and eats other fish and squid.’
Mid 18th century: a West African word.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.