Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
2(in the theater) opposite prompt.
- ‘The staging was such that the trees were drip-fed onto the stage from the downstage OP corner, with those in the downstage line receiving the trees and then passing them back to the assorted soldiers and villagers behind them.’
- ‘Fresh and processed apples account for over one-half of total OP exposure and risk for children.’
- ‘If EPA stays on course, most high-risk OP exposures will be either eliminated or dramatically reduced.’
- ‘Bicknell referred, long before they were commonly known about, to organophosphorous (OP) compounds.’
- ‘EPA has significantly reduced OP risk through actions impacting fruit and vegetable uses of two pesticides methyl parathion and chlorpyrifos.’
- ‘At this same time, the agency published a schedule for review of old pesticides and announced that the organophosphate (OP) insecticides would be a top priority.’
- ‘If you've read my op on human evolution, you may notice I contradict myself a little, as in this op I argue for human evolution being at a relative stand-still, whereas in the other I make a case for it being faster than ever.’
- ‘This OP, manufactured mainly by Dow AgroSciences (sold as Lorsban for farm use and Dursban for home and structural pest management uses), is the most widely used insecticide in America, with major farm and urban uses.’
- ‘The results showed that cumulative OP exposure from about two-dozen foods often exceeded a child's acceptable Reference Dose (RfD).’
- ‘The EPA should be able to reduce OP risks in major children's foods like apples, pears, grapes, peaches, green beans, and tomatoes by 98 percent or more by targeting actions against just a half-dozen higher-risk OP pesticides.’
4(in the Roman Catholic Church) Ordo Praedicatorum Order of Preachers (Dominican)
- ‘Ardeth Platte, OP, 66, became a Grand Rapids Dominican Sister on Sept.8, 1954.’
- ‘Maciej Zieba, OP, Hittinger himself, and others gave lectures on Catholic social thought to two dozen senior undergraduate and graduate students from America and Eastern Europe.’
- ‘"We established guidelines to measure the minimum amount needed to provide a 'living wage' for a family and to realign our financial priorities so that we could pay that amount," Sister Maureen Geary, OP, told Sojourners.’
- ‘Jackie Hudson, OP, 67, entered the Grand Rapids Dominicans on Sept.8, 1952.’
- ‘Womanist theologians in this group include Sr. Jamie S. Phelps, OP, in Chicago.’
5(in online forums or comment pages) original post (or poster)
- ‘To answer the OP, good books do it for me.’
- ‘The OP seems a bit behind the trend, and for those interested in scrapbooking, it might be useful to check out what those on the "cutting edge" of the hobby are producing.’
- ‘Oops, upon closer inspection of the OP, I see you weren't looking for a "blame" song.’
- ‘I don't know where the OP found her links, but they sound to be 3 or 4 years out of date to me.’
- ‘To the OP: I hope you will continue to explore this venue.’
- ‘Maybe the OP is judging the reactions of the people who seem to not be connecting with her as much as she fears they are judging her for not connecting with them.’
- ‘But the OP doesn't tell me what's going to make him and his wife happy with the outcome, either together or apart.’
- ‘If the children's parents don't choose to be adults, then the OP's friend is going to have to be an adult.’
- ‘The OP has stated that a long-term relationship is his goal, so your advice isn't good in this case.’
- ‘I watched Buffy from the end of season 3 on, and I really enjoyed season 6, pretty much for the reasons in the OP.’
- ‘I barely got scratched and would have been happy to drive away and leave it at that, like the OP did.’
- ‘I was surprised at the tone of the OP.’
- ‘I do not want to repeat the mistake of the OP and assume that I know or can find out with a Google search.’
- ‘Guess I didn't really answer the OP's question in my long, rambling post.’
- ‘My advice to the OP would be whereas you want things to be comfortable for you, keep in mind that someone else lives there also.’
1A surgical or other operation.
- ‘Next month, she will have been off booze and cocaine for three years and ops to rebuild her nose have been a success.’
- ‘More worrying is that they are encouraged to use national health beds and operating theaters to do private ops the next day.’
- ‘‘It varies from traumatic amputation landmine injuries, gunshot wounds, motor vehicle accidents or elective cases through to minor ops,’ he said.’
- ‘It will separate planned surgery from emergency care so patients do not face cancelled ops at the 11 th hour.’
- ‘Until the double transplant ops, Laura was forced to spend nine hours every day hooked up to a dialysis machine.’
- 1.1Military operations.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.