One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cell in an ovary which may undergo meiotic division to form an ovum.
- ‘The oocyte is then allowed to develop to the blastocyst stage in vitro.’
- ‘As semen quality reduces, the proportion of oocytes fertilised by in vitro insemination decreases.’
- ‘Generally, this reflects a decline in the number of oocytes in the ovary (decreased ovarian reserve).’
- ‘However, in young women this comes at a price - many women lose ovarian function because oocytes or their support cells are damaged by the treatment.’
- ‘In mammals, signals from the gonads determine whether the germ cells develop into oocytes or sperm.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.