Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cyst containing a zygote formed by a parasitic protozoan such as the malaria parasite.
- ‘The goal of this study was to compare the effects of malaria oocysts and sporozoites on the two mechanisms that could affect the mosquito's biting rate: motivation and efficiency.’
- ‘Once T. gondii has bred in the brain of a cat that has ingested an infected rat, the parasite's oocysts are expelled with the cat's feces.’
- ‘These parasites are transmitted via oocysts that are excreted with the feces of the host.’
- ‘Maturation of the oocysts leads to sporozoite release into the hemocoel.’
- ‘Infection is acquired by ingestion of viable tissue cysts in meat or oocysts excreted by cats that contaminate the environment.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.