Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The development of an individual organism or anatomical or behavioral feature from the earliest stage to maturity.Compare with phylogenesis
- ‘Some degree of variation seems attributable to ontogenesis, as large morphological distances are observed between young and adult specimens.’
- ‘Shepard proposes that humans go through eight stages of ontogenesis in their first twenty years of life.’
- ‘The concepts of penetrance and expressivity and also of the systemic regulation of the formation of phenotypic traits - the foundation of phenogenetics and the genetics of ontogenesis.’
- ‘Ductal plate malformation results from persistence or absence of remodeling of the embryonic ductal plate during ontogenesis.’
- ‘Since this field of biogenesis is not available to us, we shall do as biologists do and turn to ontogenesis.’
Late 19th century: from Greek ōn, ont- being + genesis birth.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.