One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Japan) a hot spring, or a resort that has developed around a hot spring.
- ‘For our friends it was a great way to experience the Japanese onsen for the first time.’
- ‘My muscles relaxed and my mind unwound as I was lapped by water; onsen seem to bring on meditative moods.’
- ‘This thermal activity gives us one of the greatest things about Japan and Japanese skiing - onsen.’
- ‘Firstly we went to the seperate men's/women's onsen just across the river from our little camp site.’
- ‘These onsen are a major tourist attraction in themselves.’
- ‘I have never felt so clean in my life as after 2 days of onsen!’
- ‘The ritual and allure of the countryside onsen is even greater, and a night at a traditional country inn adds even more poetry to the process.’
- ‘As I had stopped at an onsen earlier and it was getting late anyway, I didn't stop at any baths in the town.’
- ‘For those who prefer to be inside the inn, there are two communal indoor onsen.’
- ‘My thoughts were soon distracted, however, when I found an onsen off the road.’
- ‘Imagine (in a broad brush, no detail please) a naked, sun burnt me and Hiromi in the changing area of the onsen.’
- ‘The thought of being a naked tourist attraction is still a bit daunting and if the onsen was busy I may not be so comfortable.’
- ‘The food was great, the atmosphere was charming, the onsen was nice and the service was superb.’
- ‘We had an excellent view of Mount Fuji from our room and from the onsen.’
- ‘Kate and I neglecting to put on the slippers at the door were followed by the cute little old lady from the front desk all the way into the onsen.’
- ‘For those who prefer to stay inside, there are also four indoor onsen.’
- ‘The public onsen can sometimes be an embarrassing experience for overseas visitors.’
- ‘The Japanese can do without all those troublesome waves and sun, and still prefer the tranquillity of their onsen.’
- ‘So we walked into the onsen in grubby clothes, covered in sand sun burnt and grimy and walked out scrubbed clean looking like summer messages of gentle womanhood.’
- ‘Some of the most popular onsen are outdoors, where bathers can gaze at fluttering snow in the winter or lush green mountains in the summer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.