Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The practice of searching for a romantic or sexual partner on the Internet, typically via a dedicated website.‘with the rise of Internet dating has come a new carelessness about dating etiquette’
- ‘Later, I get lectured that I've violated the codes of internet dating.’
- ‘The National Association of Dating Websites will aim to portray online dating in a more favorable light.’
- ‘Online dating is following a similar evolutionary process.’
- ‘Ten per cent of the 2,000 people questioned for the BT poll said they were seeing people they met through internet dating or social networking sites.’
- ‘Talking about internet dating with friends we were joking about all the cliche first date ideas.’
- ‘The situation has about it some of the dynamics of internet dating.’
- ‘I'm in my mid-30s and have started doing some internet dating.’
- ‘I went out on the town, tried meeting girls at University and in the end, even tried internet dating.’
- ‘At the same time, the burgeoning practice of blogging is pushing online dating even further toward "informed choice."’
- ‘In this age of text-messages, online dating, email relationships, the very concept of the 'blind date' seems oddly antiquated.’
- ‘She was furious a year and a half ago when her mom suggested she try online dating.’
- ‘Online dating is going to evolve with the convergence of various technologies.’
- ‘To be sure, some parents are still concerned with safety online or still don't know what online dating is.’
- ‘Her mother, however, didn't give up, mentioning online dating a couple more times in passing over the summer, even offering to pay.’
- ‘With online dating, the same is true.’
- ‘Visiting a friend several weeks ago I was introduced to the American phenomenon of internet dating.’
- ‘I just saw a commercial for yet another movie with a theme centered around online dating.’
- ‘I have had plenty of relationship experience in the past but never really "dated" very actively until the advent of internet dating.’
- ‘Reputation management is the next big thing in online dating, prepare for an onslaught of services catering to this niche.’
- ‘People seem to be tiring of online dating.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.