One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Controlled by or connected to another computer or to a network.
- ‘Still, only thirty-one computers were online - that is connected to each other - in 1960.’
- ‘After the thirty seconds, the system would be completely back online and the IMX network would again run for a full year.’
- 1.1 Connected to the Internet or World Wide Web.‘the ease and convenience of online shopping’
- ‘Also available is an online shopping service that lists recommended foods based on a person's medical history.’
- ‘They also say they are more interested in the Internet for online entertainment than other users, according to the study.’
- ‘Godfrey has also sued several other Internet service providers and online publications.’
- ‘The free online service is available on the Joburg City website, under e-services.’
- ‘You can find more information about online education on the internet.’
1While so connected or under computer control.
- ‘Moments later the flight control system came online, my HUD flickering into life.’
- ‘Once inside, the controls came online as he flicked on a few switches.’
- ‘Security controls had been back online as well as the little traps they planted through the space station.’
- 1.1 With processing of data carried out simultaneously with its production.
2In or into operation or existence.‘the town's new high-tech power plant is expected to go online this month’‘the company has additional production capacity coming online later this year’
- ‘The legwork has been taken out of the planning procedure by a Yorkshire council which has become one of the first authorities in Britain to put the whole process online.’
- ‘If all goes well, Munton said construction could begin as early as September, with a fully operational plant online in about a year.’
- ‘Now that we have reminded them, we expect it to be online shortly.’
- ‘Air National Guard offices are expected to go online in July.’
- ‘The new facility came online this month and expects to ramp up to full production by March.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.