One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Controlled by or connected to another computer or to a network.
- ‘After the thirty seconds, the system would be completely back online and the IMX network would again run for a full year.’
- ‘Still, only thirty-one computers were online - that is connected to each other - in 1960.’
- 1.1 Connected to the Internet or World Wide Web.‘the ease and convenience of online shopping’
- ‘Also available is an online shopping service that lists recommended foods based on a person's medical history.’
- ‘They also say they are more interested in the Internet for online entertainment than other users, according to the study.’
- ‘You can find more information about online education on the internet.’
- ‘The free online service is available on the Joburg City website, under e-services.’
- ‘Godfrey has also sued several other Internet service providers and online publications.’
1While so connected or under computer control.
- ‘Security controls had been back online as well as the little traps they planted through the space station.’
- ‘Moments later the flight control system came online, my HUD flickering into life.’
- ‘Once inside, the controls came online as he flicked on a few switches.’
- 1.1 With processing of data carried out simultaneously with its production.
2In or into operation or existence.‘the town's new high-tech power plant is expected to go online this month’‘the company has additional production capacity coming online later this year’
- ‘If all goes well, Munton said construction could begin as early as September, with a fully operational plant online in about a year.’
- ‘Now that we have reminded them, we expect it to be online shortly.’
- ‘The new facility came online this month and expects to ramp up to full production by March.’
- ‘The legwork has been taken out of the planning procedure by a Yorkshire council which has become one of the first authorities in Britain to put the whole process online.’
- ‘Air National Guard offices are expected to go online in July.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.