Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An infant's one-piece close-fitting lightweight garment, usually having sleeves but leaving the legs uncovered and fastening with snaps at the crotch.
- ‘By the time they bring their new little family member home, they've taken classes, read a library's worth of books, and bought enough onesies to fill an entire dresser.’
- ‘I find the t-shirts better than onesies, especially for diaper-changing purposes.’
- ‘As you can tell from his onesie, I exclusively breastfeed.’
- ‘Her baby brother loved both servings so much that he smeared them all over his face, his onesie, the kitchen floor, and the couch.’
- ‘I've decided that "experiments with gravity" would be an excellent phrase to print on a baby onesie and toddler t-shirt.’
- ‘Putting away all the blankets and baby socks and teeny tiny onesies made everything seem so real.’
- ‘One vendor was even selling a baby's pink onesie emblazoned with the New York Police Department logo.’
- ‘The onesies, in sets of three, will be decorated with a peace symbol, a heart, and a happy face: peace, love, and happiness.’
- ‘Organic cotton is very important for the baby clothing market and the onesie was an easy fit with the youth and baby tees that we already offered.’
- ‘My baby is 2 weeks old, and because she was 2 weeks late and nearly 10lbs, she isn't fitting into the smaller onesies very well.’
- ‘I'm sorry that I dressed you in that onesie that was too small but was still so cute that I wanted you to wear it at least one more time.’
- ‘She gave me tips on creating a full layette and showed me some darling booties and onesies.’
- ‘Do you experience a tingling sense of well-being when you know exactly where the 3-6 month old onesies are in your nursery?’
- ‘Little Amy was crawling around the floor in a "Daddy's Girl" onesie.’
- ‘One of the photos in the slideshow was of him as a baby, sporting a onesie with Mickey Mouse on the front.’
- ‘We had stacks of onesies we'd bought on sale at Baby Gap.’
- ‘Onesies are very practical clothing for babies to wear.’
- ‘Both stores are also good sources for flannel receiving blankets, pajamas, onesies, and other items that you'll want to buy in bulk.’
- ‘These days you can buy your baby daughter a BORN TO SHOP onesie with little pink purses on it.’
- ‘She handed me a yellow Carter's onesie with a soft yellow duck on the chest.’
1980s: from Onesies, a proprietary name for a garment of this type, based on one + -sy.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.