Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A single-cylinder engine.
- ‘We always lent an ear for the one-lungers of the oilfield, but it was not until this spring that one of them darn things followed me home.’
- ‘This year we had a record 21 steamboats, 3 one-lungers and a Stirling-powered sidewheeler’
- ‘I'm looking for a one-lunger - around 3 hp - for an old 15' double-ender open boat.’
- ‘Both are one-lungers and develop four to six horsepower.’
- ‘Marine Internal Combustion engines were wither small "one-lungers" or in larger sizes very heavy and slow speed for their power output.’
- 1.1A vehicle or boat powered by a single-cylinder engine.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.