One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A one-act play.
- ‘Their interior monologues are mildly amusing, as are, between the three constituent one-acters, the supposed thoughts of actual spotlighted audience members given in voice-over.’
- ‘May not this format entail special perils: too long for a one-acter, too short for a full-length play?’
- ‘An operatic career that began unprepossessingly in Heidelberg in 1949 with a modest one-acter called Das Wundertheater, has ended, if the composer's word is to be believed, with the full glamour of a Salzburg premiere this week.’
- ‘It consists of two one-acters, Heart's Desire and Blue Kettle, whose aim, respectively, is to demolish stage action and stage speech.’
- ‘His last full-length play, Three Days of Rain, was about something, as was the just-revived one-acter The Author's Voice.’
- ‘Rimsky's one-acter Kashchey the Immortal is based on a Russian fairy-tale.’
- ‘A lot of this is very funny, indeed, and, as the play is a one-acter, the audience doesn't have time to assess too critically what is happening on stage, which, to my mind, is just as well.’
- ‘It is the full-length expansion of a 1984 one-acter, and it feels like patchwork: Is it possible that the additions were not new scenes but bits squeezed into the interstices here and there?’
- ‘It's coupled with a rarely seen Tennessee Williams one-acter, Lord Byron's Love Letter, set in a mother-and-daughter household in New Orleans whose cranky isolationism is reminiscent of Williams's early play The Glass Menagerie.’
- ‘Indeed, with some stage directions and a bit of good will, the whole thing could easily have been passed off as a one-acter from some second-rank absurdist playwright.’
- ‘The McNally-Beaser collaboration, The Food of Love, is the darkest and most anguished of the three one-acters.’
- ‘The current season, from early April to early December, offers a repertory of eight full-length plays, two musicals, and two one-acters in the lunchtime series.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.