One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person or thing of which one is very proud and which is a source of great pleasure.‘the car was his pride and joy’
- ‘The Brooklyn building, with its three studios, complete with sprung floors and walls of mirrors, is his pride and joy, and he's about to add another two studios.’
- ‘Secretary Martin Armitage said: ‘We will have our observatory telescope aimed at the Sun, as well as our pride and joy - a special solar filter attached to a premium refractor.’’
- ‘He had a great fondness for horse racing and bred race horses which were his pride and joy.’
- ‘For many owners their leisure vehicle is their pride and joy, and we can't wait to see the amazing ways that they have developed them.’
- ‘While he has produced numerous pieces over the years, including mirror frames, flowers and figurines, his pride and joy is a bed he has been working on for the past seven years.’
- ‘His 12 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren were his pride and joy.’
- ‘The Old Forge is their pride and joy and to witness the detail around their house, it is easy to understand why they are so comfortable at this beautiful spot.’
- ‘Our garden has always been our pride and joy and we spend every weekend working in it.’
- ‘The luxury is a 19 ft sailing boat on Ullswater, his pride and joy.’
- ‘Ma, the only one in the family who managed to enter university, was their pride and joy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.