One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
With the wind coming from the port (or starboard) side of the boat.
- ‘It is also easy to just put yourself on a broad reach on the starboard tack any time you wish to use the spinnaker to go downwind.’
- ‘If the tidal stream sets towards the right of the apparent wind, boats on the starboard tack will be freed and boats on the port tack will be headed.’
- ‘We push on but our mainsail trim needs that runner on the port tack and we drop away a little from the class leaders.’
- ‘When the boat was sailed on the starboard tack, seawater was siphoning into the boat.’
- ‘The boat will turn almost 180° and you will find yourself back on the port tack you were on before the beginning of the maneuver.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.