One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Honest; truthful.‘Eddie said my story was on the level’
genuine, straight, honest, above board, fair, true, legitimate, sincere, straightforward, proper, honest-to-goodnessView synonyms
- ‘I realize we weren't totally on the level, but it's not like it was an actual scam.’
- ‘The average person wants to be on the level, and also knows that an accountant who takes chances puts all of his or her clients in danger of audit.’
- ‘In fact, all those insults come from real guests who think the show is on the level.’
- ‘I think this guy is on the level, Gus.’
- ‘I can only assume that she's on the level.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.