One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Available for sale at a reduced price.‘they have hamburger buns on special today’
- ‘Now I use paper towels, and buy them in the 12 pack when they're on special.’
- ‘She had bought it last week, on special at Foodland.’
- ‘They're on special!’
- ‘It had been on special for 99 cents a tub at Woolies, so we had 8 tubs of it in the freezer.’
- ‘One of them is liverwurst, which Larry got on special at the local deli.’
- ‘Foodtown had it on special for about $10 - an absolute steal.’
- ‘We have a three pack of socks on special for only a fiver up at the till!’
- ‘I expect they had either been abducted or were on special in an aisle I had yet to discover.’
- ‘I'd got some really cute outfits that were on special for like half price and didn't spend that much money.’
- ‘"I was comfortable enough to put the Vanilla Twist on special in all our restaurants this month."’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.