One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
2Sufficiently friendly to talk to each other.‘she parted from her mother barely on speaking terms’
- ‘I read somewhere some time that you and your mother had not on speaking terms for quite a few years.’
- ‘The couple wasn't on speaking terms since the argument.’
- ‘Some travelling companions return home barely on speaking terms.’
- ‘A week or so ago you two were barely on speaking terms.’
- ‘It was her fault we were barely on speaking terms.’
- ‘Although Leanne still couldn't forgive her mother, she was on speaking terms again.’
- ‘The date didn't work out but now the two of them are barely on speaking terms.’
- ‘Suffice to say, Hailey wasn't on speaking terms with her mother or her brother.’
- ‘He knows having her here is dangerous, especially since he and I are barely on speaking terms over her.’
- ‘At least Tierra and her mother were on speaking terms.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.