One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Under a moral obligation.‘they are on their honor as gentlemen not to cheat’
- ‘But my opponents had put me on my honour not to warn any patriot.’
- ‘As a vice-principal commented, ‘Every school was put on their honour’ to promote better eating habits.’
- ‘‘Aircrews were sort of on their honor to do a good job,’ Hinton said.’
- ‘He wrote in his diary on December 31, 1775: ‘I have been confined upon my honor not to absent myself from the town.’’
- ‘I wish I could tell you all about the preparation we've made, but as you see by the green envelope we are put on our honour not to do so.’
- ‘Either side can sign themselves out on day passes on their honor not to escape.’
- ‘When you read this message, you are on your honor to delete all files from your hard drive.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.