One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Under a moral obligation.‘they are on their honor as gentlemen not to cheat’
- ‘Either side can sign themselves out on day passes on their honor not to escape.’
- ‘I wish I could tell you all about the preparation we've made, but as you see by the green envelope we are put on our honour not to do so.’
- ‘But my opponents had put me on my honour not to warn any patriot.’
- ‘‘Aircrews were sort of on their honor to do a good job,’ Hinton said.’
- ‘He wrote in his diary on December 31, 1775: ‘I have been confined upon my honor not to absent myself from the town.’’
- ‘When you read this message, you are on your honor to delete all files from your hard drive.’
- ‘As a vice-principal commented, ‘Every school was put on their honour’ to promote better eating habits.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.