One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a file or filing system.
- ‘The boy was cleared of the charges and has no previous convictions, charges or warnings but despite this his fingerprints were kept on file.’
- ‘With regard to evidence, I have been told that you have everything on file and you have the files in front of you.’
- ‘This is compared to the voter's signature on file at the elections office.’
- ‘I also know that by law, many companies are required to keep written resume's on file for at least a year.’
- ‘You should make sure the address they have on file is your current address and that any charges on the account were made by you.’
- ‘A key factor is that these households pay a monthly bill, so they already have their credit card on file.’
- ‘Of course, I already knew they would not have my name on file, but I figured it couldn't hurt.’
- ‘He has a retaliation complaint on file with the city's Employee Relations Board.’
- ‘You will be pleased to hear that I have enough of these tales on file to last another six months, and three out of the next four involve things getting blown up.’
- ‘The reports must be filed monthly with the Supreme Court and be kept on file with the local court's clerk.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.