Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Continuing without stopping for a specified period of time.‘sometimes they'll be gone for days on end’
in succession, in a row, at a time, successively, consecutively, running, straight, on end, one after the other, continuously, without a break, without interruptionView synonyms
- ‘The Cochin Port Trust continued to maintain the steel structure for years on end.’
- ‘Sonic would keep me occupied for hours on end.’
- ‘Sometimes their legs are tied together for years on end in the misguided hope that this will heal them.’
- ‘It's just one of those silly rituals or in-jokes you tend to get when you have a group of men together on tour for weeks on end.’
2In an upright position.‘he brushed his hair, leaving a tuft standing on end’
upright, erect, perpendicular, plumb, on end, standing, upstanding, bolt upright, upendedView synonyms
- ‘Suzanne's hair stood on end and her eyes bulged with a maniacal glee.’
- ‘The chord and respective melody movements are so genuinely perfect that they could make the hairs on your neck stand on end.’
- ‘Oh, and needless to say, Ronnie Spector is a complete goddess whose voice can make the hairs on the back of one's neck stand on end.’
- ‘The other kind of trailer is the one that knocks your socks off, stands your hair on end, sears the retina and leaves you gasping.’
- ‘Linda's hair was messed up and Aaron's auburn hair was standing straight on end.’
- ‘If you are outside in a lightning storm, you may notice that your hair starts to stand on end.’
- ‘The thought of spending thirty days in a glass tank with up to 2700 of them was enough to set my hair on end.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.