One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used for emphasis.‘who on earth would venture out in weather like this?’
at all, in any way, on earthView synonyms
- ‘How on earth are the sport stars of the future ever going to get that edge over the competition.’
- ‘Why on earth would I want to go near the things which filled me with so much fear?’
- ‘So why on earth does he want to make yet another death-defying walk in the Grand Canyon?’
- ‘After all, who on earth is interested in reading about our inability to cope?’
- ‘I am curious to find out what on earth possessed him to do this and why a lime?’
- ‘Why on earth do they bother selling them to anyone when it's clear no librarians want to read them?’
- ‘How on earth do you manage so many top class horses and find dates and races for them all?’
- ‘The question that remains to baffle us is why on earth it took so long for anything to be done.’
- ‘You may wonder what on earth has prompted me to ask such a question, so let me explain.’
- ‘So my question is, how on earth do you keep tabs on all of the available programming?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.