One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
With the stipulation that.‘he proposed deep cuts in offensive forces, on condition that an agreement be reached’
on condition that, provided, provided that, providing, providing that, presuming, presuming that, supposing, supposing that, assuming, assuming that, on the assumption that, allowing, allowing that, as long as, given that, with the provision that, with the proviso that, on the understanding that, with the understanding that, if and only if, contingent on, in the event thatView synonyms
- ‘He was given special leave from school on condition that upon his return he gives a presentation to his year group about his African experiences.’
- ‘The city surrendered on August 10, on condition that the garrison be allowed to leave peacefully.’
- ‘When he became too old to work on the farm, Banneker sold it to the Ellicot family on condition that he was allowed to live in the farm house for the rest of his days.’
- ‘The judge allowed him to walk free but put him on probation for three years on condition that he received medical treatment.’
- ‘On an earlier occasion he had been convicted of an offence of dishonesty, placed on probation on condition that he resided at a mental home for treatment.’
- ‘They stressed, however, that they would only support this option on condition that there was no reduction in the level of healthcare provision.’
- ‘He marries the King of Kent's daughter on condition that she be allowed to keep her Christianity.’
- ‘After escaping and being recaptured three times he was allowed his freedom on condition that he left New Zealand.’
- ‘However, it is allowed on condition that claims are filed within the prescribed 12 month period.’
- ‘Reisz had accepted the job on condition that he would be allowed to produce a series of non-advertising documentaries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.