One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Equal in importance or quality to; on an equal level with.‘this home cooking is on a par with the best in the world’
as good as, comparable with, in the same class as, in the same league as, equivalent to, much the same as, equal to, a match for, on a level with, on an equal footing with, of the same standard asView synonyms
- ‘The games industry in the UK is already bigger than the cinema business, and on a par with video.’
- ‘Oats proved to be one of the better crops this year, coming in on a par with last year's yield.’
- ‘We have a road network on a par with the worst of any of the poorest third world economies.’
- ‘Some excellent facilities are in place at the gym which are on a par with the very best in the county.’
- ‘It is a deeply affecting couple of hours, on a par with Schindler's List for emotional impact.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.