One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Giving the specified reason as one's justification.‘the police raided Grand River on the pretext of looking for moonshiners’
- ‘I could bow out of teaching for them on the pretext of needing to care for my friend without admitting the truth.’
- ‘One taste and you'll be tempted to take an entire cake home on the pretext that it's your birthday.’
- ‘I excused myself on the pretext of getting my card, which I said was in my bag in the bedroom (in truth it was in my pocket).’
- ‘When I finished, a few people took the microphone on the pretext of asking a question.’
- ‘Yet we are able to justify and rationalise our actions on the pretext that our sins are lesser as after all we are men and women who were ordained for each other.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.