Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A lane for traffic entering a turnpike or freeway.
- ‘Traffic flows around this island in a counter-clockwise direction, entering and leaving on what amount to off-ramps and on-ramps.’
- ‘There are expressways, smaller lanes, on-ramps and off-ramps and intersections.’
- ‘Planning your route using a map leads to being stranded at motorway on-ramps.’
- ‘Old right-sided on-ramps sat next to left-sided exits, resulting in dangerously sharp transitions.’
- ‘Rodgers was beside himself, certain that he had entered the on-ramp to success.’
- ‘The best place to be picked up is at the end of an on-ramp, where there is two-way traffic.’
- ‘By the time I hung up, I was at the freeway on-ramp.’
- ‘The suspect's SUV suddenly jerked to the side of the road, and entered an on-ramp.’
- ‘The result could help engineers improve traffic forecasts and improve control over traffic lights at on-ramps, he says.’
- ‘‘Yes, they're for real,’ he allowed as the light changed and he turned left, got in the right lane, and turned right onto the on-ramp.’
- ‘George surged through the green light and back up the next on-ramp, which was arranged, rather conveniently, right in front of us.’
- ‘Anyhow, we got to a point just before the highway on-ramp, they went and did some shoe shopping, and I hit up the bookstore.’
- ‘Its 355-horsepower engine makes on-ramps into mini raceways, and the transmission is sporty and killer-fun to play with, besides offering actual help in maneuvering through traffic.’
- ‘Semis with license plates from every New England state and Quebec drove out of the P & H lot and down the on-ramp.’
- ‘There are other historic adobes in Southern California, but most lost their lands to newer houses and on-ramps.’
- ‘The boat, registered to Young, was on its side between the Allegheny River and the 10th Street Bypass near the Fort Duquesne Bridge on-ramp.’
- ‘As I entered the freeway on-ramp, there seemed to be even fewer cars.’
- ‘You know, your local law enforcement agencies can work on closing off the exits and on-ramps and reversing flows on roads.’
- ‘These map sites work well in general, but tend to have irritating flaws - like neglecting to indicate which way to turn to get onto an on-ramp.’
- ‘In Seoul, striking workers mustered another eight container trucks and blocked a highway on-ramp.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.