One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An animal or person that eats food of both plant and animal origin.
- ‘While it's known that plant eaters and omnivores often eat a wide selection of foods to ensure the intake of various nutrients, carnivores aren't thought to be that fussy.’
- ‘These generalists were mainly unspecialized herbivores or omnivores, with partially fossorial habits, strong territoriality and high reproductive rates.’
- ‘Based on feeding habits, researchers broadly classify ray-finned fishes as herbivores, carnivores, omnivores, zooplanktivores and detrivores.’
- ‘Western Gulls are omnivores and eat a variety of things including fish and other aquatic creatures, eggs, carrion, garbage, and other birds.’
- ‘The earliest to develop were the somewhat more derived ungainly carnivores, omnivores and herbivores of the Dinocephalian lineages.’
- ‘In all but the role of small insectivore, omnivore, and rodent-like herbivore, the therapsids were eventually supplanted by the archosaurs.’
- ‘Still other eutherians, such as raccoons and bears, are omnivores, eating both meat and plant material.’
- ‘Members of this family are omnivores and herbivores, feeding mainly on underground fungi and tubers also taking some seeds and insects.’
- ‘In the second part, the herbivores, omnivores, and carnivores are divided into large and small categories for comparison within and between subregions.’
- ‘It is important to realize that, though Primates are viewed as omnivorous, they are omnivores of a very particular type in that the great majority of their foods each day come from plants.’
- ‘Pigs are omnivores not herbivores and do not carry BSE, so why had we to subsidise the BSE offal disposal in the first place?’
- ‘Ambush foragers typically respond visually to moving prey, but omnivores and herbivores may frequently need to identify immobile plant parts as food.’
- ‘Megapodes are omnivores, known to eat plant material, invertebrates and small vertebrates.’
- ‘The natural world requires a balance of carnivores, omnivores and herbivores.’
- ‘These bears are omnivores and food is a top priority in their lives.’
- ‘The grass shrimp and white-fingered mud crab are best characterized as omnivores sharing similar food sources.’
- ‘Sticklebacks are voracious omnivores and feed on a variety of food including some algae and invertebrates such as insects, snails, small crustaceans, and some types of small worms.’
- ‘It is also interesting that this ecosystem has no animals which are strict herbivores, but rather they are omnivores, switching between diets of eating algae and animals.’
- ‘In a novel study, they recruited women who eat both animal and plant foods - the omnivore regimen typical of most Americans - and women who only eat plant-derived foods.’
- ‘Ground-dwelling omnivores, turkeys walk miles foraging for nuts. insect, and other edibles.’
Late 19th century: from French, from Latin omnivorus ‘omnivorous’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.