One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Receiving signals from or transmitting in all directions.
- ‘It observes its surroundings with an omnidirectional vision sensor, and can detect and avoid obstacles by using a laser scanner.’
- ‘The use of multiple lamps in a radiation facility necessitates the measurement of the radiation flux from all directions or omnidirectional radiation.’
- ‘LanguageForce, Inc. has announced the introduction of its newest software, Universal Translator 2000, which offers omnidirectional translation in 40 major world languages.’
- ‘Antennas are directional or omnidirectional, such as those in the Vocera badges.’
- ‘On 30 June 2003, the 70-metre DSN station in Madrid, Spain, successfully received high-rate science data through SOHO's omnidirectional on-board low-gain antenna.’
- ‘Sinclair Technologies has developed a VHF fiberglass omnidirectional antenna using low PIM antenna design techniques.’
- ‘Most call center agents and supervisors are familiar with the two types of headset microphones most prevalent in call centers - noise canceling and omnidirectional microphones.’
- ‘The compressive force material produces an omnidirectional outward force within the recessed area that creates a positive crown and camber.’
- ‘A reflector, a method of producing same and a method of creating high omnidirectional reflection for a predetermined range of frequencies of incident electromagnetic energy for any angle of incidence and any polarization.’
- ‘Here's a list of tools (some of which you may already have) for basic acoustical troubleshooting: a sweep oscillator, an omnidirectional microphone, any device with a high-resolution meter and digital converters.’
- ‘An omnidirectional system receives the interference signal at full strength throughout each revolution, and therefore always will tend to have poorer performance.’
- ‘Nevertheless, I was determined to be at least vaguely scientific about this review, so I pulled out the omnidirectional microphone I had borrowed from the media unit at work and started making recordings.’
- ‘Now that we're all wrapped up in the Net, some developers want to teach us another metaphor of omnidirectional connectivity: the mesh.’
- ‘Audio hardware included mixers, speakers, and both omnidirectional and directional microphones; the sound setup required some care to avoid echo and ensure high fidelity, especially when large music groups were playing.’
- ‘Circularly symmetric omnidirectional antenna patterns also provide poor separation between sky and ground signals, limiting rejection of ground-based jammers, interference sources, and thermal noise.’
- ‘The omnidirectional antenna can also send and receive X-band when the directional one is not aimed properly.’
- ‘Screw-on, screw-off standard omnidirectional antennas are used for transmission and receiving.’
- ‘The system uses a masthead antenna array with omnidirectional and monopulse directional antennae and a separate periscope warning antenna.’
- ‘The Liana system uses a small, omnidirectional antenna to acquire satellite signals that are sent direct to a personal computer for processing and distribution.’
- ‘In this case, we saw a demo that appeared to send data from a 50mW base station, using an omnidirectional antenna, to a receiver 18 miles away.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.