One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Receiving signals from or transmitting in all directions.
- ‘Antennas are directional or omnidirectional, such as those in the Vocera badges.’
- ‘The omnidirectional antenna can also send and receive X-band when the directional one is not aimed properly.’
- ‘In this case, we saw a demo that appeared to send data from a 50mW base station, using an omnidirectional antenna, to a receiver 18 miles away.’
- ‘LanguageForce, Inc. has announced the introduction of its newest software, Universal Translator 2000, which offers omnidirectional translation in 40 major world languages.’
- ‘Nevertheless, I was determined to be at least vaguely scientific about this review, so I pulled out the omnidirectional microphone I had borrowed from the media unit at work and started making recordings.’
- ‘Audio hardware included mixers, speakers, and both omnidirectional and directional microphones; the sound setup required some care to avoid echo and ensure high fidelity, especially when large music groups were playing.’
- ‘It observes its surroundings with an omnidirectional vision sensor, and can detect and avoid obstacles by using a laser scanner.’
- ‘Here's a list of tools (some of which you may already have) for basic acoustical troubleshooting: a sweep oscillator, an omnidirectional microphone, any device with a high-resolution meter and digital converters.’
- ‘Now that we're all wrapped up in the Net, some developers want to teach us another metaphor of omnidirectional connectivity: the mesh.’
- ‘A reflector, a method of producing same and a method of creating high omnidirectional reflection for a predetermined range of frequencies of incident electromagnetic energy for any angle of incidence and any polarization.’
- ‘The Liana system uses a small, omnidirectional antenna to acquire satellite signals that are sent direct to a personal computer for processing and distribution.’
- ‘Screw-on, screw-off standard omnidirectional antennas are used for transmission and receiving.’
- ‘On 30 June 2003, the 70-metre DSN station in Madrid, Spain, successfully received high-rate science data through SOHO's omnidirectional on-board low-gain antenna.’
- ‘Most call center agents and supervisors are familiar with the two types of headset microphones most prevalent in call centers - noise canceling and omnidirectional microphones.’
- ‘The system uses a masthead antenna array with omnidirectional and monopulse directional antennae and a separate periscope warning antenna.’
- ‘Circularly symmetric omnidirectional antenna patterns also provide poor separation between sky and ground signals, limiting rejection of ground-based jammers, interference sources, and thermal noise.’
- ‘An omnidirectional system receives the interference signal at full strength throughout each revolution, and therefore always will tend to have poorer performance.’
- ‘Sinclair Technologies has developed a VHF fiberglass omnidirectional antenna using low PIM antenna design techniques.’
- ‘The compressive force material produces an omnidirectional outward force within the recessed area that creates a positive crown and camber.’
- ‘The use of multiple lamps in a radiation facility necessitates the measurement of the radiation flux from all directions or omnidirectional radiation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.