One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fold of peritoneum connecting the stomach with other abdominal organs.
- ‘Neither pelvic endometriosis nor metastases in the omentum, peritoneum, and/or appendix were noted.’
- ‘Several small 2-to 3-cm satellite tumor nodules were present in both lobes of the liver and in the omentum.’
- ‘The omentum and mesentery were also thickened and adherent to the viscera.’
- ‘Tissue analyzed at the Tyler, TX, laboratory included right and left lung, omentum, and mesentery from each patient.’
- ‘The omentum, peritoneal ligaments, and celiac vessel and its tributaries provide additional support.’
- ‘The surgeon bluntly dissected all detected adhesions from the omentum on the duodenum into the gallbladder and dissected the gallbladder free.’
- ‘Herniated bowel (stomach, small bowel, colon) and solid viscera (liver, omentum, spleen) are seen in the ipsilateral hemithorax causing mediastinal shift.’
- ‘While we do not choose to comment on chrysotile clearance from the lung, we note that chrysotile fibers reached the omentum and/or mesentery in 25% of the cases.’
- ‘If the cyst is found to be cancerous, you may need more serious treatment to remove both of the ovaries, the uterus, a fold of fatty tissue called the omentum and some lymph nodes.’
- ‘Origin of GISTs from precursor cells would also better explain their described occurrence in the omentum and mesentery without involvement of the tubular gastrointestinal tract.25’
- ‘Diagnostic laparoscopy was performed, which revealed dilated veins in the omentum and falciform ligament, a nodular liver, and a mass in the right lower quadrant.’
- ‘Gliomatosis peritonei is a miliary implantation of mature glial tissue on the omentum and peritoneum associated with ovarian teratomas.’
- ‘Metastatic tumor was present in the bilateral lungs, liver, omentum, bones, bilateral adrenal glands, abdominal lymph nodes, and liver.’
- ‘Five years following initial diagnosis, this patient developed recurrence in the liver with distant spread to the omentum, abdominal cavity, and ovary without evidence for either an intestinal or appendiceal tumor.’
- ‘Intraoperative fine needle aspirates of the pancreas, as well as biopsies from the omentum and regional lymph nodes, were negative for malignancy.’
- ‘We report a case of recurrent prostate adenocarcinoma presenting as bowel obstruction due to widespread metastatic disease in the omentum and peritoneum.’
- ‘Then, 2 years after this recurrence, the tumor again recurred in the liver, with additional spread to the ovary and omentum / abdominal cavity, with no evidence of either intestinal or appendiceal tumor.’
- ‘The lesser omentum contains the left gastric artery, a branch of the celiac artery, and the right gastric branch of the hepatic artery.’
- ‘Examples of earlier methods include one researcher's use of omentopexy, which is the fixation of the omentum to an adjacent organ, reported in 1935 and another researcher's use of thoracic artery implantation reported in 1954.’
- ‘More than 50 cases have been reported since its first description by Kariminejad and Scully.1 However, only 5 cases were reported to be malignant, with metastases found in the omentum, liver, or lung.’
Late Middle English: from Latin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.