One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dish of beaten eggs cooked in a frying pan until firm, often with a filling added while cooking, and usually served folded over.
- ‘I'd like an omelette plain and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast.’
- ‘My dish there was an omelet with American cheese and onions.’
- ‘Growers and ranchers start the day with frittatas, omelets, or chicken-fried steak and three eggs in this historic shack just off the Carneros Highway.’
- ‘He once had a faddish private client who insisted on egg-white omelettes, to be cooked without butter or oil in the pan.’
- ‘But there are sandwiches, omelettes, baked potato fillings, pasta sauces for when you are running on empty, and a picture of Karmel and her glowing offspring to inspire you to try harder when you reach for the freezer door.’
- ‘Toss on a little salt after roasting and add to pasta, polenta, pizza and omelets.’
- ‘Mike Thomson, the owner/manager, will be serving bagels, omelettes, salads, home made soups and baking and pasta dishes.’
- ‘Fresh leaves can be added to soups, stews, omelettes or salads.’
- ‘The things I can manage are omelettes, Caesar salads and macaroni-and-cheese.’
- ‘Egg-based dishes such as omelettes or frittatas which include cooked vegetables can be prepared quickly and make a wholesome entrée.’
- ‘The meal included freshly baked bread, salad, omelettes, ham, sausages, maple baked beans and crêpes for dessert.’
- ‘Alongside the roast beef, a cook prepared fresh omelettes and pasta.’
- ‘And when I say breakfast, I don't mean just cereal and a bagel; I mean pancakes, omelets, sausage, bacon, the works.’
- ‘Fresh and colorful alfalfa sprouts, crisp and crunchy mung bean sprouts, or any of the half dozen other kinds of raw sprouts sold in America today add taste and texture to salads, sandwiches, soups, omelets, and other dishes.’
- ‘Connie suggests pasta dishes such as spaghetti bolognese, omelettes, even a healthy salad.’
- ‘Unlike a classic omelette, you serve it open and finish it off under a grill so that it is set in the middle.’
- ‘They were only serving omelets and sausage today, for some insane reason.’
- ‘A chef was stationed at one end to cook omelettes and serve bacon, sausages and black pudding.’
- ‘So many fresh foods are incredibly quick to prepare and easily assembled into tempting fast meals - such as soups, omelettes, warm salads and pasta dishes.’
- ‘The menu includes jacket potatoes, omelettes, pizza, and panini, and we wouldn't hesitate to have another snack here if the opportunity arose.’
French, earlier amelette (alteration of alumette), variant of alumelle, from lemele ‘knife blade’, from Latin lamella (see lamella). The association with ‘knife blade’ is probably because of the thin flat shape of an omelet.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.