Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A trick-taking card game for three people using a pack of forty cards, popular in Europe in the 17th–18th centuries.
- ‘He presents Belinda at her toilet, a game of ombre, the snipping of the lock while Belinda sips her coffee, the wrath of Belinda and her demand that the lock be restored, the final wafting of the lock, as a new star, to adorn the skies.’
From Spanish hombre man with reference to one player seeking to win the pool.
Having tones of color that shade into each other, graduating from light to dark.‘a blue and white ombré silk shift’‘her shoulder-length ombré hair’
- ‘She wants to create an ombré effect with her cashmere fabric.’
- ‘Prada fans have gone elegantly ga-ga for Miuccia's shrunken ombré cardigans.’
- ‘The beaded fringe of her dress faded in an ombré style from bronze to gold, falling just above her black leather boots.’
- ‘What do you think of her ombré locks?’
- ‘The actress stopped in a few vintage shops on the road while showing off new ombré highlights in her hair.’
- ‘The actress - a natural brunette - often experiments with her hair color, having gone lighter for roles in the past and most recently rocking an ombré look.’
- ‘The ombré trend has continued this season and shows no sign of slowing down as we head into Autumn.’
- ‘Jessica wore minimal makeup and pinned back her fringe while leaving the rest of her ombré tresses loose.’
- ‘Dip-dyed ombré hairstyles have been prominent in celebrity magazines.’
- ‘Delilah wore a key-hole cut Michael Kors black gown last night with her ombré hair slung to one side in retro curls.’
- ‘Pastel shades, monochrome and two-tone ombré pieces are also right on trend.’
- ‘Here's something you can take from the couture shows in Paris that you can actually wear and afford: Christian Lacroix's ombré tights.’
- ‘Who can forget his outstanding ombré silk chiffon sari-like gown with a navy alligator skin asymmetrical top?’
- ‘A multi-coloured stripe tankini and selection of vivid ombré sarongs complements any choice from pool to party!’
- ‘She donned a body-conscious ombré sequin dress and Jimmy Choo heels.’
- ‘More formal looks included beautiful strapless fitted gowns with floor-length capes and a full-skirted gown done in an ivory-to-champagne ombré effect.’
French, past participle of ombrer to shade.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.