One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An oil pressed from ripe olives, used in cooking, medicines, soap, etc.
- ‘Most olive oil lovers are aware of the problems that induced Manni to create his own oil.’
- ‘Rose and Ruth explain how olive oil follows the same geographical pattern of change as wine.’
- ‘Mix the lemon juice and olive oil then season it lightly with salt and pepper.’
- ‘Drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt, pepper and the finely chopped chilli.’
- ‘The waiter sprinkles on crystals of Maldon sea salt and then dribbles very hot olive oil on top.’
- ‘Brush the langoustine with a little extra olive oil and grill on the barbecue until cooked.’
- ‘I have been cooking potatoes in olive oil and then topping them with cheese for years.’
- ‘Transfer to a bowl and stir in the vinegar and olive oil, adjusting flavours to your taste.’
- ‘Serve hot from the pan, or leave to cool and serve it tossed in a little extra olive oil and balsamic vinegar.’
- ‘Grape juice can be made into wine, and olive oil can be used for cooking and bathing and in oil lamps.’
- ‘Heat the remaining olive oil in the pan and cook the onion for 5 minutes until softened.’
- ‘The extra virgin olive oil is a deep green and tastes almost good enough to consume on its own.’
- ‘Brush the tuna lightly with olive oil and grill or pan-fry on one side until coloured.’
- ‘Crush the garlic into a good helping of olive oil, lime juice, basil leaves and honey.’
- ‘Here I toss them with feta that has been marinated in olive oil and both fresh and dried herbs.’
- ‘Heat half the butter, olive oil and thyme in a frying pan, and brown the bird lightly on all sides.’
- ‘Mix the red wine vinegar, olive oil and grated Parmesan to produce a thick dressing.’
- ‘Season the red mullet fillets with salt and black pepper and lay them in the hot olive oil.’
- ‘Brush the cut sides with olive oil then bake for about 5 minutes until it begins to crisp.’
- ‘Far better to bake cubes of ciabatta drizzled with olive oil in the oven for a much lighter finish.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.