Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A carbohydrate whose molecules are composed of a relatively small number of monosaccharide units.
- ‘Fetuin contains six oligosaccharides chains, namely three carbohydrate units O-linked to Thr or Ser residues and three complex glycans, N-linked to Asn residues.’
- ‘The non-structural carbohydrates in shallots and onions include glucose, fructose and sucrose together with oligosaccharides, the fructans.’
- ‘Pathway by which the synthesis and transfer of the lipid-linked oligosaccharide unit takes place at the membrane of the ER.’
- ‘Prebiotics are complex carbohydrates - oligosaccharides, such as inulin and short-chain sugars.’
- ‘Enzymes that act on substrates such as polypeptides, nucleic acids, oligosaccharides, or lipid membranes often interact with more than one substrate molecule.’
- ‘There was no measurable incorporation of C into sucrose, hexoses or the raffinose family of oligosaccharides at any stage of the incubations.’
- ‘Unspecific porins have repeatedly been described as passive, water-filled channels facilitating the diffusion of ions and polar molecules up to the size of trimeric oligosaccharides.’
- ‘Glucose accumulation rate during storage increased significantly with seed water content, which suggested the occurrence of greater sugar hydrolysis from sucrose and oligosaccharides.’
- ‘A major proportion of the soluble carbohydrates was made up of the raffinose series oligosaccharides, raffinose and stachyose.’
- ‘Complex N-linked oligosaccharides are negatively charged if they contain sialic acid.’
- ‘All carbohydrates can be classified as either monosaccharides, oligosaccharides or polysaccharides.’
- ‘Moreover, some authors have suggested that seed sugar content, particularly the ratio of oligosaccharides to sucrose, might be used as an indicator of seed vigour and storability.’
- ‘In addition to sucrose, the oligosaccharides raffinose and stachyose were also detected, but only from 55 DAA.’
- ‘Moreover, the formation of lipid rafts is thought to be favored by hydrogen bonding among the oligosaccharides in sphingolipids.’
- ‘Raffinose, as well as other members of the raffinose family of oligosaccharides, are important phloem transport and storage carbohydrates for many plants.’
- ‘As well as the binding functionality provided by the biochemically-specific moieties they contain, the oligosaccharide might impart a steric stiffness to the polypeptide core.’
- ‘This may be explained by the difference in interaction of the tip with the polar zwitterionic PC headgroups and the anionic oligosaccharide headgroups of the ganglioside.’
- ‘Di- and oligosaccharides are replaced by monosaccharides, while dehydrins and other desiccation-related proteins disappear.’
- ‘Because each monosaccharide can link to more than one other monosaccharide, oligosaccharides can be branched.’
- ‘These calculations indicate that the strength of key mannose-protein interactions at the monosaccharide site is preserved in both the oligosaccharides.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.