Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A peptide whose molecules contain a relatively small number of amino-acid residues.
- ‘These values can be used to estimate the total time to calculate free energies for oligopeptides of larger protein systems.’
- ‘The bounds are extracted from the set of low free energy conformers identified for oligopeptides representing these loop residue segments.’
- ‘A striking manifestation of this phenomena is the ability to grow crystalline solid-state structures from a solution of cyclic elastin-like oligopeptides by heating.’
- ‘Aminopeptidases and oligopeptidases in the cytosol may cleave oligopeptides into free amino acids.’
- ‘Endopeptidases play key roles in storage protein degradation, producing oligopeptides.’
- ‘Longer chains containing a few amino acids are often called oligopeptides or polypeptides if they contain as many as 50.’
- ‘Similar values for equilibrium constants have been reported for nonspecific binding of cationic oligopeptides to DNA.’
- ‘However, this may not be the case for oligopeptides such as EAK16 because of their relatively weak intrachain interactions.’
- ‘The multi-subunit oligopeptide ABC transporter OppABCDF could be stabilized during dehydration by the addition of 100 mg sucrose/g of lipid.’
- ‘The other three proteins studied-the lipid-anchored oligopeptide binding protein OppA, the oligopeptide translocator complex OppBCDF, and the secondary lactose transporter LacS-were found to be less stable.’
- ‘This nonspecific binding is similar to the behavior displayed by other cationic DNA-binding ligands such as cationic oligopeptides and polyamines.’
- ‘Isolation and characterization of a group of oligopeptides related to oxidized glutathione from the root of Panax ginseng.’
- ‘We have shown that single-molecule properties have a critical influence on the self-assembly of charged oligopeptides.’
- ‘The LMWCr oligopeptide is composed of cysteine, glutamate, aspartate, and glycine.’
- ‘The major computational expense for the [alpha] helix prediction stage involves the calculation of accurate solvation and ionization energies for a subset of the overall oligopeptides.’
- ‘These zinc-dependent endoproteases may act on a large number of substrates, or they may be highly specific, targeting only one or a few proteins or oligopeptides.’
- ‘By analogy, biomaterials like proteins and self-assembling oligopeptides may have a critical aggregation concentration based on their amphiphilic structures.’
- ‘The analysis of the free energy of these oligopeptides therefore requires efficient methods for locating not only the global minimum energy structure but also large numbers of low energy conformers.’
- ‘Recently, however, several groups have studied systems of several to dozens of oligopeptides at atomic resolutions using computer simulations.’
- ‘The question arises whether the theoretical concept can be extended to analyze oligopeptides with more than two peptide groups.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.