Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A glial cell similar to an astrocyte but with fewer protuberances, concerned with the production of myelin in the central nervous system.
- ‘There are also supporting tissues in the nervous system, known collectively as glia; for example, Schwann cells surround the axons of peripheral neurons, and oligodendrocytes and astrocytes ensheath the axons of central neurons.’
- ‘Without any chemical cues, the cells spontaneously differentiated into neurons and other brain cells called oligodendrocytes.’
- ‘The adult CNS contains three major types of cells: neurons, astrocytes, and oligodendrocytes.’
- ‘From human embryonic stem cells the company has produced the three types of brain cells, namely glia (glue cells), astrocytes (star cells) and oligodendrocytes (few branches cells).’
- ‘Myelin is produced by cells called oligodendrocytes.’
- ‘Eosinophillic intranuclear inclusions of Cowdry type A are found in oligodendrocyte, astrocytes, occasional neurons, ependymal cells, endothelial cells, and schwann cells.’
- ‘Although fish axons are capable of regeneration, they are nevertheless repelled by mammalian CNS myelin and oligodendrocytes.’
- ‘There is now general agreement that the cells supporting productive infection in brain are the microglial cells and macrophages, whereas the neurons and oligodendrocytes are relatively rarely infected.’
- ‘They successfully grew skin cells, smooth muscle cells, neurons and other nerve cells known as astrocytes and oligodendrocytes, and pigment producing cells called melanocytes, Reuters reports.’
- ‘The team found that adult human cells were much more adept at settling into the brain, becoming oligodendrocytes and producing myelin than the fetal cells.’
- ‘This result is in accordance with functional data showing that axon growth inhibitory molecules are less prominent in fish oligodendrocytes and CNS myelin compared to mammals.’
- ‘Immunostaining of tissue sections indicates that neurons, oligodendrocytes, and nonmyelinating Schwann cells contained neurofibromin, whereas astrocytes and myelinating Schwann cells do not.’
- ‘This virus can infect and destroy oligodendrocytes, the cells which produce myelin.’
- ‘These precursor cells develop from stem cells and are specialized so that they can form only two kinds of cells: astrocytes, which help support neurons and influence their activity, and oligodendrocytes, which produce myelin.’
- ‘Varicella-zoster virus can infect a wide variety of cells in the CNS and PNS, including neurons, oligodendrocytes, meningeal cells, ependymal cells, and cells of the blood vessel wall.’
- ‘Myelin acts as a multilamellar insulator around brain axons and is expressed by oligodendrocytes in the central nervous system.’
- ‘The researchers found that the stem cells migrate up the spinal cord and develop into multiple different neural cell types, including neurons and oligodendrocytes, the cell type that forms insulating myelin sheaths around nerves.’
- ‘Other cell types found in the brain, such as oligodendrocytes and astrocytes, were unaffected.’
- ‘These precursor cells give rise to all of the mature oligodendrocytes that make myelin throughout life.’
- ‘Hall validated her observations by staining the cells with various antibodies that only bind to and illuminate proteins unique to oligodendrocytes precursor cells.’
1930s: from oligodendroglia + -cyte.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.