Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for oligonucleotide
- ‘In the third step, an RNA oligo that carries two primer sites is ligated to the decapped mRNA by T4 RNA ligase.’
- ‘Magnetic beads coated with streptavidin were then added and allowed to interact with the biotin on the oligo (dT).’
- ‘The sequence of the two nonconserved regions, NC1 and NC2, is shown, with the nucleotide substitutions in mutated oligos shown above the wild-type sequence.’
- ‘Two to five hundred nanograms of total RNA were reverse transcribed using Superscript II RNaseH - reverse transcriptase and an anchored oligo primer.’
- ‘These oligos were used with an appropriate upstream oligo to amplify fragments that were subcloned into pSM100 as described above.’
- ‘The oligo primer was end labeled using T4 polynucleotide kinase.’
- ‘The oligo triggers the actual gene repair process.’
- ‘All the annealed double stranded oligos were cloned into the StuI site using blunt end ligation.’
- ‘First-strand cDNA was synthesized with an oligo primer from total RNA extracted from scutella of germinating seeds.’
- ‘For ACO genes, four degenerate oligos were synthesized on the sequences of three different conserved peptides.’
- ‘Second, a pair of annealed oligos encoding the HA epitope and SV40 nuclear localization sequence was inserted into the BglII site at the beginning of Bye1.’
- ‘All oligos were obtained from Sigma Genosys (Woodlands, TX) and further purified using polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis.’
- ‘Poly (A +) RNA was extracted using oligo cellulose, as described in SAMBROOK et al..’
- ‘The technique utilizes a thermostable DNA ligase to ligate together perfectly adjacent oligos.’
- ‘The cDNA synthesis was performed at 42° for 30 min using 1 g of total RNA and an oligo primer.’
- ‘Double-stranded oligos were multimerized using T4 DNA ligase in the presence of XhoI and SalI restriction enzymes to generate tandem arrays.’
- ‘Two independent series of RNA preparations were reverse transcribed using the anchored oligo primer AAGCT 11 A.’
- ‘Further experiments with small duplex oligos are planned to probe this issue.’
- ‘The bottom shows the loading control using the oligo for the 7S RNA, oRP100.’
- ‘This problem would be enhanced using arrays composed of long oligonucleotides since only RNAs whose protected regions overlap with the oligo sequence would be identified.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.