Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of the first pair of cranial nerves, transmitting impulses to the brain from the smell receptors in the mucous membrane of the nose.
- ‘Instead, he smelt it, breathing in deeply as if to taste it through his olfactory nerves.’
- ‘Their olfactory bulbs were the size of a grapefruit, and the bundle of olfactory nerves leading to the brain was wider than the spinal cord, judging by the size of the skull openings.’
- ‘The sphenethmoid is intimately connected with the olfactory nerves, the entire optic apparatus and the fore- and mid-brain.’
- ‘At levels higher than this, the poisonous gas will start to degrade the olfactory nerves, making it impossible to smell.’
- ‘He took the lid off the box and the scent of freshly baked double chocolate cookies wafted out to caress their olfactory nerves.’
- ‘He normally liked its scent, but on Cinnamon it was an overpowering affront to his olfactory nerves.’
- ‘That ought to have overloaded their olfactory nerve endings.’
- ‘Toothed whales do not have a sense of smell, but baleen whales do have some olfactory nerves.’
- ‘By the way, you'll be happy to know the smell is gone now, or my olfactory nerves have been killed dead.’
- ‘When any substance is inhaled, the olfactory nerve is stimulated providing a direct pathway to the brain's limbic system, or emotional ‘control centre’.’
- ‘There are those who believe that the lower orders are specially endowed by nature with better olfactory nerves than man, but it is merely a matter of development.’
- ‘The apparent cell-to-cell extension of virus along olfactory nerves, periosteum, and meninges in our study most likely involved cell-associated enveloped virus.’
- ‘These bundles of nerves constitute the 1st cranial nerve, the olfactory nerve.’
- ‘The olfactory nerves send messages directly to the limbic system in our brains.’
- ‘In its very early stages, Alzheimer's causes changes in the olfactory nerves.’
- ‘On each side of the groove the dura is rough, because of its attachment to the cribriform plate of the ethmoid bone and because it is pierced by numerous olfactory nerve bundles.’
- ‘Unfortunately, many clinical tests confound the function of the olfactory nerve with that of the trigeminal nerve (‘pungency’ as from ammonia).’
- ‘I had known of a link with the smelling cells, the olfactory nerve cells, or neurons, in the nose, but not the eyes.’
- ‘Actually what is known is that in infection models in rats, you get the virus through the olfactory nerves, from the nose to the brain.’
- ‘Olfactory cells in the mucous membranes lining each nostril react to chemicals we breathe in and send messages along specific olfactory nerves directly to the brain for processing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.