One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An old song, film, or television program that is still well known or popular.
- ‘He has already presented 200 shows and treated packed audiences with songs ranging from lyrical oldies to pulsating latest chart busters.’
- ‘If we ask Lameville High to provide it we'll probably end up playing oldies.’
- ‘These musicians covered everything pop - from oldies to hip-hop to alternapop to bubblegum.’
- ‘Some major record companies have been pushing to introduce flexible pricing, charging more for hit songs and less for oldies, for example.’
- ‘When she was older, would the radio stations be playing the same oldies they do now, or music from her time.’
- ‘I turn on the radio and listen to the oldies as they play again and again on the local station.’
- ‘Shadow sings selections from British and American musicals for the first part and her original songs, together with Shanghai oldies, in the second.’
- ‘They played oldies, and most of the people there were around our age.’
- ‘Why would a record company place a newly discovered work of art on an album that's a collection of oldies and call it a bonus track?’
- ‘Clare's songs are again a mix of favourite oldies and cracking originals, not a misfire among them, taking in pop, big band and samba but possessing a distinctive style.’
- ‘There was an amusing mix of classical and oldies in the film.’
- ‘Dad turned on the radio to a channel that played oldies and some new hit songs which was cool, because I wouldn't be stuck listening to Chicago for two hours.’
- ‘Some Saturdays we play all oldies and others we play so many different songs.’
- ‘Many new games, but also a few oldies were played during the 7th Ludopathic Gathering.’
- ‘Many of the songs sound like rehashed versions of oldies while the band also indulges in experiments with tape loops and minimalist restrictions.’
- ‘Electronica is not my kind of music, I'm more into musicals and oldies, but I am open to anything that is good.’
- ‘A pop song from the 1980s played on the speakers, a musty oldie, something about childhood, a song about innocence.’
- ‘And the oldies are played by rapidly aging DJs trying to recapture the glory years of early AM Radio.’
- ‘The first three are classic oldies, the fourth and fifth are recent pop hits, and the next three should be familiar to any music geek worth their salt.’
- ‘My friend stayed in the room that had the live band playing oldies and top forty songs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.