One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An old song, film, or television program that is still well known or popular.
- ‘These musicians covered everything pop - from oldies to hip-hop to alternapop to bubblegum.’
- ‘Electronica is not my kind of music, I'm more into musicals and oldies, but I am open to anything that is good.’
- ‘I turn on the radio and listen to the oldies as they play again and again on the local station.’
- ‘The first three are classic oldies, the fourth and fifth are recent pop hits, and the next three should be familiar to any music geek worth their salt.’
- ‘My friend stayed in the room that had the live band playing oldies and top forty songs.’
- ‘Dad turned on the radio to a channel that played oldies and some new hit songs which was cool, because I wouldn't be stuck listening to Chicago for two hours.’
- ‘Many new games, but also a few oldies were played during the 7th Ludopathic Gathering.’
- ‘Many of the songs sound like rehashed versions of oldies while the band also indulges in experiments with tape loops and minimalist restrictions.’
- ‘He has already presented 200 shows and treated packed audiences with songs ranging from lyrical oldies to pulsating latest chart busters.’
- ‘They played oldies, and most of the people there were around our age.’
- ‘A pop song from the 1980s played on the speakers, a musty oldie, something about childhood, a song about innocence.’
- ‘When she was older, would the radio stations be playing the same oldies they do now, or music from her time.’
- ‘Some major record companies have been pushing to introduce flexible pricing, charging more for hit songs and less for oldies, for example.’
- ‘Clare's songs are again a mix of favourite oldies and cracking originals, not a misfire among them, taking in pop, big band and samba but possessing a distinctive style.’
- ‘Why would a record company place a newly discovered work of art on an album that's a collection of oldies and call it a bonus track?’
- ‘If we ask Lameville High to provide it we'll probably end up playing oldies.’
- ‘There was an amusing mix of classical and oldies in the film.’
- ‘And the oldies are played by rapidly aging DJs trying to recapture the glory years of early AM Radio.’
- ‘Shadow sings selections from British and American musicals for the first part and her original songs, together with Shanghai oldies, in the second.’
- ‘Some Saturdays we play all oldies and others we play so many different songs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.