Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a tree or forested area) never felled, harvested, or cleared; mature.‘old-growth forests’
- ‘In an old-growth forest, rotting trees sprouting new saplings are a common sight.’
- ‘The Nerussa River, a secluded waterway surrounded by peat bogs and old-growth oak forests, meandered through this area.’
- ‘The marbled murrelet, a threatened seabird species, nests primarily in old-growth trees up to 75 kilometers from the coast.’
- ‘Tree sitters can spend months camped on platforms in old-growth trees, hoping to call attention to the environmental effects of logging.’
- ‘Our study examined seed dispersal of trees in an old-growth forest.’
- ‘They are often found in mature and old-growth forests, but will breed in second growth as long as there are some large nesting trees.’
- ‘The practice of clear felling old-growth forests is deeply objectionable to a large percentage of the Tasmanian population.’
- ‘You can only cut an old-growth forest or raze a historically significant building once - then all you have is a parking lot.’
- ‘In much of the country, Barred Owls are associated with large trees in old-growth forests.’
- ‘Even the landscaping goes beyond merely preserving the existing old-growth trees and heritage plants indigenous to the region.’
- ‘All nests the researchers found were in old-growth trees.’
- ‘No one was cutting old-growth white- and red-pine forests.’
- ‘Bulldozing old-growth trees will make way for money-making species such as eucalyptus, teak and bamboo.’
- ‘The main casualties are tree species characteristic of old-growth forests.’
- ‘The yew tree is found only in old-growth forests, so it has now become a potential problem, along with the spotted owl, in trying to save these forests.’
- ‘I subdivided the samples of old-growth trees at Bailey Woods according to slope position and aspect.’
- ‘The kinds of birds and animals that have not yet returned are mostly species preferring old-growth forest habitat.’
- ‘When fires do occur in old-growth forests, they rarely kill the larger trees, which have thick, fire-resistant bark.’
- ‘Tents are set in a canyon across from El Capitan State Beach, amid old-growth oak and sycamore trees.’
- ‘Manker himself tried to find the tree in 1955 but found only stumps of cut old-growth trees in the area.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.