One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An oil tanker.
- ‘Nato also has dispatched seven frigates, a destroyer, and an auxiliary oiler to the Mediterranean to take the place of American naval assets there.’
- ‘Commercial oilers may have a tank which dispenses the insecticide like a lantern wick.’
- ‘The surviving engineer from the wreck of the fleet oiler heads for his old ship with the dive guide.’
- ‘One reason for sending the USS Cole to a Yemen port to refuel was because there were not enough fleet oilers to refuel the Cole at sea.’
- ‘The rest pressed on and were over the Mobile Fleet by 6: 30 P.M. In growing darkness, the Americans attacked, damaging several vessels and sinking three, the carrier Hiyo and two oilers.’
- ‘The loss of the fleet oiler USS Pecos to Japanese action exacerbated the situation further.’
- ‘She was also, as a fleet oiler, at the vanguard of the fleet that launched the assault on Pearl Harbour.’
- ‘The time span will also allow contractors seeking to transform the ship into a Royal Australian Navy oiler to go onboard and assess what needs to be done and what equipment will be required.’
- ‘Other ships serve as fleet ocean tugboats, fast combat support ships, oilers, ammunition ships, and combat stores ships.’
- ‘With similar dimensions, it will also match Westralia's capabilities once converted from an oiler to underway replenishment ship.’
- ‘The Europeans are also in need of seagoing oilers and fleet replenishment vessels.’
- ‘The 180-metre long oilers, officially classified as Large Fleet Tankers, are fitted with two Vulcan Phalanx close-in weapon systems.’
- ‘And the USS Arctic, which is an oiler and a resupply ship, is heading down to be on station.’
- ‘Future tests are planned for the Merlin with RFA vessels, in particular auxiliary oilers and auxiliary oil and replenishment ships.’
- ‘The oiler towed the Thonburi back to Bangkok where she entered dock for repairs.’
- ‘On 7 December, the Pacific Fleet had two oilers in Pearl Harbor and three at sea and six others in ports on the west coast; only four of these were capable of at-sea refueling.’
- ‘With the Pacific Fleet's oilers supplying fuel to ships in the Hawaiian area, it meant new supplies were not being brought in from the mainland.’
- ‘While in these patrol areas, the subs should have systematically hunted down and destroyed US tankers and Navy oilers.’
- ‘A ‘T-AO’ designation indicates that the ship is an underway replenishment oiler.’
- ‘The Navy also suffered from a severe shortage of oilers, which limited the operations radius of the fleet.’
- 1.1 An oilcan.
- 1.2North American informal An oil well.
2A person who oils machinery.
- ‘In the tale, as four men - a captain, a cook, an oiler, and a correspondent (Crane's alter ego) - battle perilous billows, they silently mull over the cosmic significance of their plight.’
- ‘The engine oiler had a painfully swollen jaw, apparently from an abscessed tooth.’
- ‘It was not long after 26-year-old Jun started working as an oiler on board the Joint Spirit before he discovered the ship's dark secret.’
- ‘Their father worked in construction as a crane operator, oiler and mechanic.’
- ‘Pat got into construction early, signing up with Boise-based Morrison-Knudsen Co. as a dragline oiler at age 22.’
- ‘It could have been the work of someone of fairly low level experience, such as an oiler.’
3oilersNorth American informal Oilskin garments.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.